Header

Header

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Thanks for joining us on our journey!

Brandie and I are creating this blog to share our adoption journey with our friends, family, and anyone who might benefit from it. We will be posting updates on the “what” of our adoption. But first we should start with the why of it:

Poverty, persecution, war … presidential primaries. We’ve all heard the question, if we haven’t asked it ourselves. Why would anyone want to bring a child into this upside down world? Like many people, Brandie and I had aspired to one day take on the responsibility of parenthood, even before we had met. Why is that?  Maybe we have a primordial drive to pass on our DNA before our brief spark of life is extinguished forever. Or maybe our tendency for self preservation motivates us to produce offspring that will provide a labor force in our prime and then will care for us when we are old and feeble.

Well, after thoroughly considering the financial prospects of child rearing, I’m pretty sure we are not driven to raise children for our own personal gain. As for passing on our DNA, it’s true – Brandie and I know we are not long for this world, but we also believe that humans are created by an eternal being, in the image of an eternal being. So, at least on a conscious level, we’re not overly concerned about what happens to our DNA after we finish this leg of the journey.

I think we each wanted children because Brandie and I were both happy as children in our families. Our parents gave us love, a sense of belonging, and self worth.  They were an example to us for how people should treat others. As the beneficiaries of unconditional love, we desire to show that same love to our own children. And we have been blessed to have a child of our own to show unconditional love. 

We desired to have another child to shower with love, while throwing the unique dynamic of love amongst siblings into the mix. But, as we’ll explain later in this blog, it seems it is not in God’s plan that we would have that other child. Why wouldn’t God give us another child deserving of our unconditional love, a dim reflection of the same unconditional love He extends to us?

Enter adoption.

All humans are created by God, loved by God, and are of infinite worth. God wants us to love each other, and, if you are a follower of Jesus, He commands it. Brandie and I have chosen adoption because a child doesn’t need our DNA to deserve our love.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed. Continued prayers for this adoption process as you share your love of family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has chosen the three of you to demonstrate through your own example the amazing Love he has for his children. We look forward to welcoming our new Grandchild into this family. I am excited to watch God's joyful plan unfold in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spiritual impact you have on your family and friends is infinitely greater than any DNA. I look forward to following your story as you pray to hear God's Will/ Your parents (both sets) must be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete